Telephone: +44 1522 781706
Fax: +44 1522 512935
Email: sales@dormandiesels.com


We are part of a group of companies specialising in the following engine ranges for which we supply competitively priced, high quality, new and reconditioned spares available from stock.



Great Northern Terrace
Lincoln
Lincolnshire
LN5 8HJ

T: 01522 781706
f: 01522 512935
E: sales@dormandiesels.com


  • Q/QV
  • S/ST
  • LD/LE
  • DA
  • JV
  • LS
  • P
Copyright © Dorman Diesels 2010
History

Founded by William Henry Dorman in 1869 on Foregate Street, Stafford, W.H.Dorman began by manufacturing cutting tools for the footwear industry, but soon began to produce more specialised machinery such as printing, sewing and grinding machines.

In 1903 W.H.Dorman produced their first internal combustion engine for the early motor car industry; this became the main activity of the company.

During the First World War the company was made a Controlled Establishment under the Conditions of War Act and made a notable contribution to the war effort, especially in the development of aerial warfare.

In 1929 Dorman began to move part of the plant to a new 20-acre site on Tixall Road, Stafford. By 1939 the manufacture of engines for road use had ceased and the company began to concentrate on the production of industrial and marine engines.

In 1939 the Ministry of Labour requisitioned the Foregate works for use as a training centre for engineers.  The remainder of the plant transferred from Foregate Street to Tixall Road.

In 1959 W.H.Dorman bought the old established Stafford engineering firm of W.H.Bagnall's Ltd.

W.H.Dorman was taken over by the English Electric Company in 1961 and by 1979 Dorman Diesels Ltd. was a subsidiary of GEC producing Dorman Diesel engines at Stafford and at the old Ruston & Hornsby factory in Lincoln.

The Dorman diesel engine business was bought in 1987 by Broadcrown and was later purchased by the Perkins Engines Company of Peterborough in 1993. 

The last Dorman branded engine was produced in 1995

In 1998 Perkins sold the Ruston & Hornsby range to RHL Spares Ltd following the closure of Dorman Diesels Central Spares Division in Lincoln. Formed by a group of experienced former Dorman employees to support the Ruston & Hornsby and Dorman Diesel engine ranges. RHL purchased the stock and rights to exclusively support the old Ruston & Hornsby range of engines.  The RHL Spares business was purchased in 2006

In September 2010 Perkins Engines agreed to sell all Dorman Diesels non-SE related parts business including the ST, DA,Q, J, L, LS, P, Y, Monair, F, DWD engine ranges.